CfHAS will host a conference on the theme of animals and social change in June 2017. We invite submissions that address these questions:
- What constitutes effective social change for other animals?
- How do particular framings of animal ethics and veganism shape strategies for intervention and change?
- How do the worlds of animal advocacy and academic research on human-animal relations speak to each other? Could more come from those interactions?
- What role do visual media, the online vegan community and documentary film-making play in effecting social change?
- How do different communities imagine progressive social change for animals taking place?
We are interested in receiving submissions of academic papers (20 minutes), short films (any genre) and poster presentations. This conference will include paper and poster presentations, film screenings and a workshop session focused on strategies for social change involving dialogue between academics, activists and advocates. The conference is designed to facilitate time and space for discussion.
This conference will be of interest to those working in critical animal studies, advocacy, grassroots activism, animal media and the vegan business community.
Please submit abstracts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for abstracts: 1st March 2017